Monday, October 1, 2007

BMJ EDITORIALS: VERY BIASED INDEED












Dear all, I just came across a very NICE Editorial in the BMJ from a few years ago.

“Editor's choice:
ME: less hype and more understanding:

The BMJ has more than once been declared the worst medical journal by one of the organisations concerned with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). The organisation thinks the BMJ is unsympathetic to the view that myalgic encephalomyelitis is an entirely physical disease.

Our response is that we agree that myalgic encephalomyelitis (or chronic fatigue syndrome) is a serious condition, we have no fixed ideas on its aetiology or treatment, we publish the best research we receive on the condition, and we don't think the argument over whether the condition is mental or physical is useful. All conditions have a mental and physical component.”

Adorable, wouldn’t you say???

“We don’t think the argument over whether the condition is mental or physical is useful.”
Which is psychobabble for, it is a mental disorder.

If I would write something similar about diabetes, cancer etc you would think I’m delusional, but not the editor of the BMJ. It doesn’t matter what the cause of something is. Not for research and not for treatment. So lets assume someone with ME falls ill and needs to go to hospital, just a simple example, where does he go, to which ward I mean?? Psycho or general medicine??

Now this editor bloke, who apparently is a doctor, wouldn’t mind, if he falls ill, with let’s say appendicitis or a broken hip, on what ward he would be admitted, because the argument over whether the condition is mental or physical is not useful. Or, even nicer, “All conditions have a mental and physical component.”

I have worked on psychiatric wards and all sorts of medical and surgical wards, and believe me; it DOES make a hell of a difference. But if you are an editor and close friends with the delusional CBT community, it APPARENTLY doesn’t make a difference AT ALL. That is, until they fall ill themselves of course, but that is just a minor, little detail.

I also found a really NICE article from these CBT blokeys. One of their studies was called: “Mania and recovery from chronic fatigue syndrome.”

What is mania? An adult with ADHD on speed basically, but then he or she has a chemical imbalance in his brain, is talking for England, and is constantly on the go. A bit like ME, I’m constantly bedbound. Now how delusional must you be, to think these are alike???

But they have another few rabbits in their hat.
“In all, 167 outpatients were screened for the study. All had been referred to a chronic fatigue clinic in a general hospital department of psychiatry.”

Now remember, ME is a neurological disease, but we still must be seen according to the CBT, Cognitive Bullshit Therapy, guys, in a mental institute. Really helpful.

But they have more, and if you read careful, you will see something really interesting in their hat, just have a look:

“Patients with the chronic fatigue syndrome perceive greater fatigue than healthy controls taking the same exercise. This may be caused by physical deconditioning, or sleep deprivation, or psychological distress, or a combination of the three.

The syndrome seems to be independent of muscle strength and fatigability, which are normal in subjects with either the chronic fatigue syndrome or the postinfectious fatigue syndrome.”

So our fatigability has nothing to do with our problem. Because NOT only is it NORMAL, it is also independent of our syndrome. YEAH RIGHT.

Now what did Dr Ramsay write, to name just one real ME EXPERT:

“THE DOMINANT FEATURE WAS MUSCLE FATIGABILITY; following EVEN a MINIMAL degree of physical exertion there could be delays of between three to five days before muscle power was restored.”

Page FIVE of his book, CBT BLOKEYS.

When I could still walk, but I already knew there was something majorly wrong, even though my GPs, without taking a proper history, without examining me, and without requesting any bloodtests or anything else, TOLD ME there was nothing wrong. How far could I walk at that time? Fifty odd yards, and I needed ONE HOUR to RECOVER. And that is normal???

After I had seen a proper GP I was referred for investiagations and when I walked two hundred yards, from my car to the outpatient’s clinic, I needed the rest of the day to recover.

And what did I do before I fell ILL??? I ran an hour and then would go back to work or do other things. But according to the delusional CBT community those two are the same.

Now how many years of Med School do you need, to be able to say that, CBT Blokeys??? And by the way, did you actually go to Med School, or did you find your diplomas somewhere on the bus or so???

And you say you can diagnose ME; well, you don’t even know the basics, but please feel free to blow your own trumpets or drum your drums, I would do the same, if I didn’t know anything about a subject.

The harder you blow/drum, the less people will find out that you don’t know what you are talking about. That is the main law of the Bullshit Therapy and the basis of your CBT KINGDOM. Well done Blokeys, keep on blowing/drumming.

And who cares about the patients with ME?? Apparently NO ONE. Not even Mr NICE.

4 comments:

Anonymous with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis said...

Hey Speedy, damn fine Blog and i enjoyed this entry especially.

Narrow mindedness sure is a disease.

/A.M.E

Dr Speedy said...

dear anonymous,

great to hear about my blog but I'm sorry that you have ME as well.
not good.

TC

Dr Speedy.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about you.

Dr Speedy said...

thx
I'm sorry as well, but I keep hoping for better times.
and I'm sure all your comments and my Cool Blogging Therapy will help. I hope.
like your site btw.

TC

Dr Speedy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails