Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Under our skin, the untold story ...



Source: Under our skin, the untold story

"A dramatic tale of microbes, medicine and money, this eye-opening film investigates the untold story of Lyme disease, an emerging epidemic larger than AIDS. Each year thousands go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed, told that their symptoms are "all in their head."

Following the stories of patients and physicians as they battle for their lives and livelihoods, the film brings into focus a haunting picture of our health care system and its ability to cope with a silent terror under our skin."

And no, I haven't seen the film yet but I do know that only in 25% of patients with Lyme's disease they get the so called BULL'S EYE rash a few days after being bitten by an infected tick. The rash can last for weeks.

Yet a few years ago there was an article in a medical journal about one or two eight year old children who were unwell and were admitted to hospital with a high fever and a one sided facial paralysis but all tests came back normal.....

Until they checked for Lyme's disease. And when asked, neither the parents nor the children had noticed a tick nor a rash at any stage prior .....

And yes I know that there are still many docs that think that without this rash you can't have this disease.

Worse, many physicians still deny the existence of a chronic syndrome yet if you just read the following from Wikipedia you will understand that even though Wikipedia denies this chronic syndrome that it must exist. Just have a read:

"For early cases, prompt treatment is usually curative.However, the severity and treatment of Lyme disease may be complicated due to late diagnosis, failure of antibiotic treatment, and simultaneous infection with other tick-borne diseases."

We also know from ME forums etc that there are quite a few people out there who have been diagnosed with CFS or ME and were offered silly CBT until a doc checked for Lyme's disease....

And I don't know the little Borrelia gang as you can't see them with the naked eye, but I do not think that they will do a runner if they hear a psycho boy talk dirty, sorry, I meant if they hear a psycho boy do his CBT talk.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've recently found from private testing that I have chronic Lyme & co-infections, having been housebound and in intractable pain for 21 years diagnosed with M.E. & fibromyalgia.

I can't have NHS treatment for my Lyme as my Western Blot Test gave a false negative.My GP refuses to discuss Lyme with me.

He's offering me graded exercise and cognitive behaviour 'therapies' when what I need is a lengthy course of iv antibiotics that I can't afford without his help. This is madness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails