Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'd rather have cancer, says Alex Wilson-Glab


Teenager Alex Wilson-Glab has barely been out of bed in 10 years and dreams of a good night's sleep.

She is so chronically tired some days she can't sit up, can't eat or leave the house and lives nearly every day in her single bed in her small bedroom in Brunswick, Melbourne.

"I stay in bed. I can't study anymore and I can't even celebrate my birthday anymore," said Alex, 18.

"I haven't had a birthday since I was 13. After a shower I need to lie down for 45 minutes and for things like brushing my hair and doing my teeth I need to lie down again for 20 minutes."

Alex contracted glandular fever in grade 3 and has suffered the affects of chronic fatigue syndrome since.

"I really wish I had cancer because then they could give me some form of prognosis," she said.

"People would sympathise, people would care and people wouldn't tell you to shut up because they don't care about your disability.'

Alex has muscle pain, fevers, chills, nausea, severe fatigue and can barely walk from bed to the bathroom.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails