Tuesday, March 29, 2011

'Don't panic' over plutonium in soil at Fukushima plant

Zena Iovino, reporter, newscientist.com, 29 March 2011:

Plutonium was detected in soil samples taken at five locations at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant between 21 and 22 March, according to the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO). However, TEPCO says that only two of the five samples appear to contain plutonium released during the current crisis.

The two samples in question show elevated levels of plutonium-238. Though these findings grabbed headlines on Monday, experts contacted by New Scientist say that the contamination is not severe.

"I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about these levels," says Dan Strom, staff scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, Washington, who notes that the US Environmental Protection Agency would deem soil with this level of contamination fit for farming.

"If this site were to be used just for a recreational area - a parking lot or golf course - then you could easily have 100 times this level," Strom adds.

Jasmina Vujic, a nuclear engineer at the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that some plutonium may have spread from steam that arose when water was dumped on the damaged buildings housing the reactors to cool spent fuel rods. Read more>>

1 comment:

marry lawson said...

Life has not been easy for me, I am here to share the good news of my life, how I was cure through HSV2 by doc zubby who help me within 2 weeks with the help of his herbal medicine I am from United states of America, so this Great doctor sent me a herbal which I took according to the way he instructed, just to find out I am cure after taking the cure for 2 week I found this man email from the internet, how he also help a lady from the same sickness. I am so happy to be writing this testimony to the world because this man really clean the tears in my heart and he is a man of his words I want to use this means to inform those of us who’s doctor had told there is no cure, well here is the chance to get yourself cured from this horrible sickness you can get Dr zubby email via dr.zubbysolutionhome@gmail.com or you can also whatapp him +2348070673249 and the doctor also told me he can fix this sickenss also: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HPV 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails