By Jennifer Trueland, BMA News:
A GP who contracted an asbestos-related form of lung cancer while staying in hospital accommodation as a junior doctor has received a ‘substantial’ sum in an out-of-court settlement.
Audrey Finnegan was working in the respiratory unit at the now-closed Belvidere Hospital in Glasgow in February 1986 when she stayed in the nurses’ home, which was undergoing refurbishment.
She was diagnosed with mesothelioma 23 years later and has had one lung removed.
The mother-of-three, who has had to resign as a GP partner in East Kilbride, pursued legal action against NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde following her diagnosis two years ago.
Dr Finnegan told BMA News she wanted others who had stayed in the accommodation to be aware of any symptoms and seek treatment.
She also wanted to raise awareness of the fact that mesothelioma — more commonly seen in male manual workers — could affect anyone, including doctors.
An NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde spokesperson said it would not be appropriate to comment as the case had now been settled.